Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Chapter 1: The story of Petra.

Chapter 1: The story of Petra.


After the feast there was not much that Billy wanted to do but sleep.
But of course his curiosity did win it from sleep.
Special, while Petra still sat in the corner of his room, as if she had been there the whole evening.
So Billy did feel a bit sorry for her: he had a wonderful evening and she?


Petra did smile, and remembered him: “I did tell you, the others do not see me, unless I do want them to.
If I do want it, even you cannot see me, but when we are real friends, I’ll never do that to you again, unless necessary.
Tonight I did so, for I did feel lonely, and a feast like this is special, is it not?
So I had to peep in, and it was lovely to see all!”


Billy’s mouth fell open, what a surprise! But it did make him feel less guilty for leaving her alone.
There for he had not to tell about it, but at first there was no time for questions, while mom came in and ordered him to go to bed.


“It is already late, so no idle timing, to bed with you”, she told and gave him his goodnight kiss directly.


“No stories tonight, there was enough to do, and there still are guests, so skip to bed quickly!”


When the light was out, Petra came and sat at the corner of his bed.
She waited patiently for Billy’s questions. Her eyes sparkled like stars and she did look wide awake.


“Petra, you did not tell me, how you could come through my treasure, the one Daddy called a mirror.
And why are you here, with me?
Is it while there are so very little kids in our town?”


Petra shook her head: “no, no, that is by chance, you are supposed to become my friend, wherever you should have lived…”


Billy wondered, may be he did not understand, while he was tired from his busy day?


“Are there other places to live than here? I did not know that.


Until lately I was not allowed to wander alone in the city, but now mom an dad and the teachers think, I am old enough to go and explore.
Today I was at the rim again, that hard place, where I sometimes do see Purple, my mermaid friend go for a swim.


And where I sometimes see daddy float, in what he calls a submarine, when he and the Atlantians go out for their mission.”
His face got a bit discontent look: “And they do say, I am still to young to go with them, and I would like this so much. But I do have to wait.”


“We in Homeland do learn, there is a time and place for everything.
Lately we have been busy with things on this earth, but on the list with friends, we did make a while ago, was your name and this date.


But Cindy and Lea did not know were this place was, nor could we find a map, this city was on. Until I did come in the Sea-land part of Homeland, and found a mermaid crying on the bank of a lake.”


“WHAT!”Billy said rather loud, “Mermaids never cry!”


”Hush,” Petra urged, “You do not want anybody come in your room to look to whom you are speaking?
Remember, they cannot sea me,” and with that words she flipped out of sight, just if a candle was blown out. Than she was back again to his surprise.


“Can you teach me to do that too?” Billy wanted to know.


“No, not that, but a lot of other things.
But first we have to become friends. I will tell you about Homeland, and you will tell me about this city, we could not find on our maps first.”


“I like to have a friend of my own, there are only a few Atlantian kids and my sisters. It would be very special to have” and than a great, big yawn came, “a friend of myself.


But now I do think, I have to sleep, for tomorrow Nemo will teach me, how this city came to be. And he uses such difficult words, I have to have slept well to understand” he ended with another yawn.


“Is it ok if I do sleep on the other side of your bed? Nobody else will see me, and you have such a lovely soft bed.” Billy only could nod yes, before he did fall asleep. As did Petra.




© Nan van Daalen, all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment